Social media in figures
Slowly but surely, we are marching towards the end of 2019. The year that gave us Netflix’s The Great Hack. The year when Zuckerberg’s testimony reached its end. The year in which psychologists increasingly warn against the negative consequences of social media. And the year when the numbers are still rising to such an extent that statistically, more people own a phone than a toothbrush.
It is crucial to profit from these numbers and to successfully and more importantly, ethically use them to connect with the target audience.
We have developed a certain obligatory love of social media. At this point, social media aren’t merely media anymore, but a weapon for small and medium-sized companies. A marketing weapon, which can find a way to affect each and every modern interned vagabond. Social media are with us on every step, in bed, in school, at practice, at work …
They’re with us when we’re sad and need comforting, when we want to share our successes and as we create our hopes and dreams. Networks are part of our daily lives, our routine. Just like brushing our teeth every day, scrolling through Instagram and swiping stories of our virtual friends is also a habit.
Advertising through these media is a big and serious responsibility. It is crucial to profit from these numbers and to successfully and more importantly, ethically use them to connect with the target audience. That’s why we would like to provide some statistical data that may give you some insight in the true marketing potential of social media.
- An average user has 7,6 different social media accounts
- Users over 55 years are more than 50% more easily influenced by online advertisements than younger users
- Followers are not the only customers aware of a brand. 96% users that are interested in and talk about a product or a brand, are not following it on social media.
- Every day, more than 3 billion pictures are posted across social media platforms, proving that we are truly a generation of the visual.
- Every day, 95 million pictures are posted on Instagram every day
- An average person spends 5 and a half years on social media in their lifetime
- In 2018, Facebook lost approximately 2 million users under 25 years of age
- Videos on Facebook receive 8 billion views every day
- More than 60% of mothers follow their favourite brands or products
- Instagram stories are two times more watchable that snapchat stories
- More than 80% of users follow at least one business profile
- On Instagram, 500 million people are active daily (‘only’ 190 million on Snapchat)
- From April 2018 to April 2019, 202 million new Facebook accounts were created
- Over 60 billion messages are sent daily on Facebook Messenger and Whatsapp
- In 2018, 68 billion euros were spent on social media marketing
- Facebook is dying? On average, 6 new accounts are created every second
- An average Facebook user has 155 friends
- 2 billion likes are given on Instagram every day
- The most liked post on Instagram is a picture of an egg. It has 53.7 million likes!
Social media are changing day by day and so do we. There’s no doubt that the above figures will change as well. To be successful in marketing, it is not enough to be active on social media, but you also need to understand its users and its culture. Allow us to keep track of the statistics for you and use them to your advantage. The next record could be set by your product.