A few weeks of exploring and testing TikTok, the app proved to be an indispensable marketing tool for individuals, companies, and communities.
What is TikTok and where does it come from?
TikTok is a social media app for iOS and Android, which is used to create and share short videos. TikTok has become popular among the younger generation, as it allows for a lot of creativity.
In 2016, the Douying app (TikTok for the Chinese market) was launched. Next year, in 2017, the Chinese Company ByteDance introduced Music.ly outside of China and named it TikTok. Today, TikTok and Douyin share the same software, but they keep separate networks in accordance to Chinese censorship restrictions.
If you are sceptical about the popularity of the app, let’s take a look at the statistics.
- There are currently 1 billion active TikTok users all over the world.
- The TikTok app in App Store and Google Play has been downloaded more than 1,5 billion times.
- TikTok ranked one of the most popular apps in iOS App Store in the first three months of 2019, with more than 33 million downloads.
- TikTok was downloaded 467 million times in India, which is almost a third of all downloads.
- TikTok users spend an average of 52 minutes a day on TikTok.
- TikTok is available in 155 countries and 75 languages.
- 90% of users use TikTok every day.
- In less than 18 months, the number of adult TikTok users in the USA increased by 5,5 times.
Have you changed your mind? If you have, you’re probably wondering what makes TikTok so special.
Why is TikTok so popular?
It started out as an app for dancing and singing with so called challenges, but it has now become much more. We can see many different types of videos, such as comedy, research, acrobatics, make up and many other types of content. Individuals can express themselves in different ways, gain followers and build a community around their passions. In addition, they can add different special effects that make their videos more unique. Content can also be used on other platforms like Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube. TikTok is growing at lightning speed and is constantly being upgraded. But most importantly, it never fails to entertain us with content we’re interested in. But how does TikTok know what we like?
TikTok keeps its algorithms a secret, but different experts have explained that the artificial intelligence that fuels the ‘for you’ page, uses many factors that determine what you like to see, including how long you’re watching individual videos and how soon you swipe up.
This highly personalised app is a bottomless pit. TikTok never stops learning and analysing your activities and offers videos you might like and be entertained by. This makes TikTok an addictive app, which shows you exactly what you wish to see. TikTok is not only used by individuals, companies and brands have also notices its potential.
In June 2019, the popular American entrepreneur Gary Vaynerchuck said this about TikTok: “I see it as much, much more that just an app for teens that dance and lip-sing songs on their phone.”
TikTok for companies and brands
Vaynerchuck’s statement has proven to be true, as the app is already being used by companies and brands in the US and other countries outside Europe. These are some of them:
- Chipotle, a Mexican food chain has been entertaining its 250 000 US followers with content and stories from their restaurants and menus.
- GUESS created its #inmydenim challenge to encourage individuals to post videos in their GUESS jeans and promote the brand. This was the first TikTok challenge by a brand that went viral.
- NBA posts content from behind the scenes and during half-time to entertain its followers.
- Loving Tan, a tanning lotion brand, collaborates with influencers to gain promotion.
A few weeks of exploring and testing TikTok, the app proved to be an indispensable marketing tool for individuals, companies, and communities. If you are one of the companies or brands who see the potential in TikTok, but you’re not sure how to go about it, we offer you:
A tour of the app and business advice
Help with managing your company’s TikTok profile
TikTok or Instagram influencer marketing for your products or services
Become a part of this popular global app and connect with us at Beglobal. Follow our TikTok @beglobalagency or contact us on email@example.com.
References: https://www.wsj.com/articles/help-im-trapped-inside-tiktok-and-i-cant-get-out-11579801844, https://www.oberlo.com/blog/tiktok-statistics, https://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/brands-on-tiktok, https://www.tiktok.com/en, https://www.garyvaynerchuk.com/why-tiktok-formerly-musical-ly-app-is-important/